An Introduction to Online Sports Betting in Ireland – Laws & Legality
In recent years, online sports betting in Ireland has increased majorly and due to the popularity, many people have begun to take notice. With the rise of mobile betting and people betting from their phones and tablets due to the convenience, plenty of people have started to bet on sports online and this is called online sports betting.
Online sports betting has become immensely popular all over the world and one country where sports betting has become tremendously popular in is Ireland. The Irish are renowned for their love of sports and these days plenty of Irish people are choosing to bet on their favourite teams and sport fixtures via the ease of online sports betting! In this well put together page, you will learn everything there is to know about Irish Sports Betting.
Is Online Sports Betting Legal in Ireland?
Now this is a question that gets asked a lot and due to the fact that this is a page about Online Sports Betting in Ireland, we think it is only right to answer it!
The answer is yes, Sports Betting is completely legal in Ireland. Online Sports betting became officially legal in 2011 in Ireland and it became regulated and licensed in late 2015. Various licenses have been issued to online sports betting companies that have gone through thorough and rigorous licensing processes.
Did you know:
We are always looking to educate our readers and we have lots of important information and knowledge which we think would be great to pass onto you guys. Listed below are a few interesting facts about Irish Sports Betting.
Around 20% of the Irish population bets on sports on a daily basis.
There is currently over 300 sportsbooks in Ireland.
Sports Betting Winnings in Ireland are not taxed.
Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) Betting has seen a huge increase in recent years. Irish MMA fighter Conor McGregor is partially to thank for this as his popularity has attracted more Irish people to follow and bet on MMA.
The minimum age to bet on sports in Ireland is 18 years old.
Ireland’s Favourite Sports to Bet On:
These days the selection of options for sports betting punters to choose from is insane and it is forever growing. International fixtures are very popular amongst sports bettors however local fixtures have began to get more recognition recently and lots of people are deciding to place bets on their local team in order to support them and feel a more passionate way as they do with the bigger fixtures.
Online Sports betting in Ireland has become very popular and the majority of Irish sportsbooks offer a fabulous range of sports for their punters to choose from. Being able to offer a large selection of sports to your punters is a very important thing and it can definitely help as punters will feel that their needs are being catered for, which is much better than having a limited range.
If you are a stranger to Irish sports betting then you may find that you feel spoilt for choice as there is so many awesome sports for you to choose from. In order to give you a helping hand and a clearer idea of what sports are popular in Ireland, we have put together a short list which states the most popular sports that the Irish tend to bet on. This can be found below.
- Horse Racing: Horse Racing in Ireland is huge and it is by far one of the most popular sports for betting and it can also involve some big money! The Horse Racing Ireland (HRI) holds over 2,500 races a year!
- Football: Football is the most popular sport in the world and it is also the most popular sport for sports betting. Football in Ireland has been big for centuries and with plenty of top Irish leagues and also local leagues, it is fair to say that the Irish love their football and they are infact regarded as passionate football fans. Football betting in Ireland is extremely big and I only see it getting bigger!
- Greyhound Racing: Apart from Horse Racing, there is also another popular Animal Racing sport which is Greyhound Racing. Although Greyhound Racing is not as established and not as popular as Horse Racing, it certainly is on the rise and the a good amount of Irish sports bettors have taken to it very well.
Choosing the Best Irish Sportsbook:
As you already know, online sports betting has increased majorly over the past several years and these days the market is absolutely huge. Due to the popularity and the high demand for sportsbooks, new sportsbooks are being created every single day and it can get quite hard to keep up with them.
We know that it is hard to choose just one sportsbook to place a bet with due to the fact that there are hundreds out there which all offer similar features. So to help you out in order to narrow your search, we have decided to put together a small handy list which will state a few of the most important things you should be looking out for when joining an Irish sportsbook. Hopefully this list will help you narrow down your search and find the perfect sportsbook for you.
- 24/7 Customer Support.
- Enticing Bonuses and Promotions.
- Secure and Safe Transactions & Encryption to Keep your Data Protected.
- Fabulous Range of Fixtures for Players to Wager on.
- Quick Payouts & Marvelous Range of Banking Options for Players to Select From.
Deposit Options for Irish Sports Bettors:
If you are familiar with online betting then you will know that there is a great range of features which are regarded as very important for sportsbooks to have and they have to be of the best quality in order for the bettor to have a good sports betting journey whilst on the sportsbook.
One of the main features which is very important for a sportsbook to have is a good range of payment/deposit options. All the very best sportsbooks have a good range of deposit options for punters to select from and it is very common for Irish sportsbooks to offer a good range too in order to cater for their customers. Some of the most popular deposit options that you will find on Irish sportsbooks are shown below.
- E-Wallets (Skrill/Neteller)
- Bank Transfer
- Pre-Paid Cards (PaySafeCard)
- Visa Debit
- Credit Card